Can I eServe documents in a California court that has not enabled eFiling?

You can eServe in all 58 California counties! Even if a court has not enabled eFiling, eService is still permitted if all parties consent to eService. Pursuant to CRC 2.251, you must do the following in order to consent to eService:

(b) Electronic service by consent of the parties

(1)Electronic service may be established by consent of the parties in an action. A party indicates that the party agrees to accept electronic service by:

(A)Serving a notice on all parties that the party accepts electronic service and filing the notice with the court. The notice must include the electronic service address at which the party agrees to accept service; or

(B)Electronically filing any document with the court. The act of electronic filing is evidence that the party agrees to accept service at the electronic service address the party has furnished to the court under rule 2.256(a)(4). This subparagraph (B) does not apply to self-represented parties; they must affirmatively consent to electronic service under subparagraph (A).

(2)A party that has consented to electronic service under (1) and has used an electronic filing service provider to serve and file documents in a case consents to service on that electronic filing service provider as the designated agent for service for the party in the case, until such time as the party designates a different agent for service.

Click here to read more about eService!

Was this article helpful?

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Our award-winning customer support team is here to help.

Contact us